Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Worst Day Ever!!!

So it all started at about 4 am when I woke up because of the storm. The kids, of course, had woken up and were scared because of the storm. So we went into the kids rooms to go back to sleep.
Then I got up around 7 am and started getting ready for the day because I had a dr. appointment this am. I left my house around 9 for my appointment (alone, thank goodness). It was pouring rain outside. As I started driving I noticed there was a lot of standing water on the roads. The rain gutters were full and so water did not seem to be draining. As I approached one intersection there was so much water that everyone was turning around and going another way....I did the same. I then called Skip and told him the roads were really bad and I was nervous driving. Like he always does he reassured me that I would be fine. So I kept driving. I had driven past the YMCA and the Zoo on W38th Street for those of you who know where that is. I then was going down the hill to Glenwood St. There was standing water in the intersection, but other cars were going through it so I thought it will be fine. I waited up higher where there was not as much water and was waiting for the light to turn green. ****There were a few things that I know now that I didn’t know then***It was pouring rain and the visibility was really low. The river just next to this intersection had begun overflowing on to the streets and was getting really bad really fast. As the light turned green I just barely started to go when water rushed up and over the hood of my car. The engine/windows/lights/ etc. all immediately went out.
I was kind of panicking because the car had stalled so I call Skip...I was only on the phone with him for a second before water started rushing in at my feet. I told him to call 911 (funny that I called him and told him to call 911, I don’t think you think very clearly in situations like this, he told me to hang up with him and to call.) I called 911. One scary thing is how long it took them to pick up. I guess all of Erie was flooding and there were tons and tons of calls pouring into 911. I tell them that my car is not working and is flooding. I was told to remain in my car....scary....The current was really strong and so they told me to no mater what stay in my car. By this time there is an unmarked cop car, with a light thrown up on top, up on higher ground and he is waving to me. I am trying to figure out how this is suppose to make me feel better having this cop who is so far away waving at me....What is he going to do when my car is completely full of water. 911 tells me fire trucks are on there way...I am totally freaking out at this point. Water is to about my knees, while sitting in my car. The firemen get there and have to put all there safety measures in place before coming after me. About five firemen then get to my door. They have to get the car door open because windows and nothing else is working. Finally they get my door open....as water is rushing in to fill the car....they grab me.
I am then taken to the fire truck on higher ground. They leave me in the truck to go rescue other people. There are five cars in the same situation in the same intersection. They had gotten me first because my car was filling the fastest. Other people were then brought to the fire truck. One interesting thing is that while I was sitting alone in the fire truck I could hear the radios the whole time.....it was things such as "man attempted to exit car at this intersection...is now completely in the water, other cars flooding, houses flooding", etc. etc. When the firemen got everyone that was in immediate danger out we were taken back to the fire station.
It took Skip about an hour to get from our house to the fire station, which would normally take 10 minutes. We have since spent the day dealing with our flooding basement and our insurance company. Skips car still remains submerged at that intersection. They have to let the water go down before they will allow tow trucks into the area. Our insurance company has basically told us that our car will be totaled but they have not gotten the car out or inspected it. This has truly been a horrible day.

Reflection
I am so incredibly thankful that I did not have any of my kids with me during this experience. I can not even imagine trying to think through having to save my three kids with rushing water filling the car. It also would have taken way more fire men to get four people out of the car because they have to grab you all at the same time because once they opened the door the water rushed in quickly. I also need to tell myself that I am very fortunate because I am physically okay (emotionally not so much) and that it is only a car that is ruined.

12 comments:

Jenn said...

Brook! That is horrible! I am so glad you are okay. This rain storm was ridiculous. I was nervous taking my kids to gymnastics today and I guess for good reason. Dumb Erie!

Julie said...

I can't believe that! Oh my heck! I am sure you were terrified!!! I really can't believe it! I am glad you are safe!

Nick and Deanne said...

I am seriously dying right now. I didn't realize it had gotten that bad out there. I am so glad that you are okay.

Chelsa said...

Wow Scary!! I am glad you are ok.

Cicely said...

This story gave me the chilly willies. I can't believe this. I'm so glad you are okay and that you didn't have your kids. Can you imagine having Cora in the car seat?

You will be in our prayers. Call me if you need anything. A ride? A hug? I'm pretty good at getting mad at people over the phone if you want me to call your insurance company. ;)

Wickywida said...

I am so thankful that you are OK. I can't imagine being stuck in a car with water coming in. Glad you're home safe.

Alesha said...

Are you seriously alive? How scary. So glad you were alone.

jolyne77 said...

Oh my gosh Brook, I am so sorry!!! I'm so glad youre alright though! our van is totalled if it makes you feel any betteR? ;-) why does all the weird stuff happen to you?!?! Oh girl! I'm with Cicely...seriously, I am positive my mouth was gaping wide open the whole time while reading...holy smokes.

You're in our thoughts and prayers...hang in there!

em said...

Brook, I am so sorry! That scares me to think about having your kids in the car. I am so glad that you are ok.

The Jensen Family said...

That's crazy! Glad you are safe and that you didn't have the kids with you. Sorry about the car and basement. Adam is excited to see his buddy when you guys get back. Our blog is: growingupjensen.blogspot.com

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

I'm so glad you were ok. At work we had so many calls of insurers in the same predicament. Erie is getting crazier and crazier.

Alice said...

That sort of stuff doesn't happen to people I KNOW! It's too crazy. I'm so glad you're okay.