Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cora Lynn Johnson

So....On Sunday April 5th we were busy celebrating Casens birthday until about 5pm. Then I started having contractions, consistently. We hurried and called Michelle and Matt and went and dropped the boys off to them. They had there first ever slumber party that night with the Bairds. Thanks so much you guys are the best! Then Skip and I were off to the hospital.

I was kind of dying the whole way to the hospital that we were going to have Cora on Casen's birthday. I really did not want my kids to have to share their special day. My goal was to hold out until after midnight.

When we got to the hospital (around 7pm) my contractions were about 6 minutes apart. I was already hurting. I was sad to hear I was only dilated to a 3 when I got to the hospital. Over the next couple of hours my contractions got a lot closer together and much stronger. I really really wanted my epidural. My nurse told me that my doctor wants you to be dilated to a 5 before getting the epidural. This is sooooo different than how they do it in Utah. In Utah you can get an epidural before you are really even hurting. So I told myself make it to a 5 and then I will be set. So the next time they checked I was a 5. I was so happy, finally I was going to get my epidural and some relief. They paged the anesthesiologist.

So the anesthesiologist shows up and begins to try and place the epidural (I have had two epidurals that were easy to place and worked great). He was having a lot of trouble placing the epidural. He could not get it placed where it needed to be. He attempted 3 times to get it placed. I was then feeling really light headed and I heard the nurse say something to the anesthesiologist about she was losing me. Skip later told me that I passed out. After so many attempts to get the epidural......unsuccessfully......Dr. V (ObGyn) said I was going to have to deliver without an epidural. I was dying. The pain at this point was worse than I even imagined labor being (and I imagined it pretty bad). About a half hour later I was a ten and was freaking out about the pain (literally.....freaking out). I am one of those people you do not want to watch deliver a baby with no pain meds....I was screaming, dying. The pain and pressure was unbearable. They kept telling me that she was right there. Dr. V could tell it was a big baby right when she started crowning. Dr. V grabbed a vacuum and started trying to pull her out while I was pushing. This is so far from my perfect delivery I had wanted. I really do not like the idea of using a vacuum or forceps during a delivery but to tell you the truth I was in such incredible pain that I did not care what she did as long as she got her out. Finally....Cora was born at 12:55 am.

It is amazing to me that even though in my mind this was truly a nightmare delivery it is all worth it when she was here. All the nausea/vomiting, pregnancy aches and pains, and the worst delivery ever, all worth it when this amazing little person gets placed in your arms.

Here are a few pictures from the hospital......more pictures to come in the future.

Here is Cora right after she was born. As you can tell she does not know what to think about this whole thing.

She weighed 8lbs. 8oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long

The proud big brothers

So sweet!!

Ready to go home.

13 comments:

Tim and Clarissa said...

Oh, congratulations! We are so excited for you and your new little girl!

Andy and Micah said...

She is so cute! Look at that pretty hair! Congrats guys.

Levi and Suzi said...

Brook, if yo ucan give birth naturally, you can do ANYTHING! I am so proud of you! Congratulations! She's a doll!

Julie said...

You are AMAZING Brook. I cried reading that! Cora is so so beautiful!!! And you can probably use all those pretty hair bows you made already with hair like that! Congrats! I can't wait to see more!

Nick and Deanne said...

Congrats! She is adorable. I heard that she has a lot of hair - but that is awesome hair! I can't wait to see her in person. I hope you're feeling well.

Wickywida said...

I'm so glad that Cora is here and both of you are doing well. She is beautiful. I picked out a cute purple dress for her. I want to look for a few more items and then I will send it in the mail. Love all of you. Vicki :o)

jolyne77 said...

CONGRATS!!! I'm glad you're both safe. She is really beautiful Brook...and honey, there is nothing cuter than a chubby baby...shes so darling!!! Congrats too for doing it all-natural'....wow, you're amazing girl!!

Alesha said...

I am dying about your birth story....dying! I think I would die...literally! And that is a big baby with no drugs! you are super woman! I love her. Cant wait to see her. I am sending your present with Phil to graduation! Which I want to cry cause I cant come.

Jodi said...

She is beautiful! You are wonder woman! I agree with Suzi, now that you have been through this you can do anything! She really is cute and chubby! I hope you are getting some sleep!

Breshears Family said...

Congrats sis! We have a beautiful new niece! How the heck does she have so much hair, LOL!

Blatter said...

OH MY! I about died when I heard you did it without an epideral! You are amazing! I can't believe it. She is adorable and I just love her hair!

Aaron and Niki Ganz said...

Wow. That is an incredible experience. You are a real trooper Brook. She is very adorable and love the hair. Can't wait to see her.

SMITH FAMILY said...

Congrats! She's a cutie and so much hair! Girls are so much fun.